Cinnamon and beets are a fantastic combination, and roasting beets with any kind of acid helps to bring out their depth of character. Using Angry Orchard Cinnful Apple to roast these beets is a great way to meld the warmer tones of cinnamon with the light effervescence of apples and earthy beet flavors. In both warm and cold weather, beets are almost always in season.
Serves 2 Adults
- 1 Bottle Angry Orchard Cinnful Apple, divided
- 1 Bunch Red Beets (about 5 beets)
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 1 small log fresh goat cheese (about 4 oz)
- ¼ Cup walnuts
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat Oven to 400 degrees.
- In a baking dish, place beets, and cover with 1 Cup Angry Orchard Cinnful Apple and olive oil.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in oven, and bake until beets are tender, approx. 1 hour. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup remaining cider and goat cheese until soft and smooth.
- In a small saucepan, bring walnuts and remaining cider to a boil, and cook until cider reduces slightly. Turn off heat and set aside.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel off skins (they should slip off easily). Cut into quarters.
- In a mixing bowl, mix beets, walnuts with cider reduction, goat cheese, and herbs (if using.) Season to taste, and serve.