Traditionally, collard greens are braised in stock or apple vinegar cider, but Angry Orchard’s Crisp Apple is an easy substitute that adds a bright fruit forward flavor and helps offset collard greens’ signature horseradish flavor. The warm ginger in Angry Orchard Apple Ginger matches the spicy flavors in the hummus, and together, those crisp, spicy notes help contrast the creamy mouthfeel and character of the arancini.
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Cup carnaroli rice
- 1/2 Cup grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
Ingredients (collard green filling):
- 1 cup Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 1lb cleaned and chopped collard greens
- ½ Cup finely diced bacon
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons franks hot sauce
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
Ingredients (black eyed pea hummus):
- Tablespoon Angry Orchard Apple Ginger
- 12 oz cooked black eyed peas, drained well
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- Bring the broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the rice, reduce the heat to low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add in parmesan cheese and adjust seasoning if necessary with additional salt.
- Spread on a lightly oiled baking sheet and let cool completely.
- To shape the arancini, scoop ping pong ball size spoonfuls of the rice onto a sheet tray.
- Use your hands to make the mixture into balls.
- Make a divot in each ball and fill the interior with a marble size amount of the collard green filling (see below for collard green filling directions).
- Re-form the balls to enclose the collards inside, transfer balls to sheet tray and refrigerate until cold.
- Once cold, remove from the fridge and follow the recipe for 3 stage breading.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry arancini until golden brown on the exterior and warm on the inside, approx. 6 minutes.
- Serve warm with black eyed pea hummus (see below for black eyes pea hummus directions).
Directions (collard green filling):
- In a heavy bottom pot add bacon and cook over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add onion and garlic and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock, Angry Orchard Crisp Apple, salt, and hot sauce and bring to a boil. 4. Add collards to the pot and cover with a tight fitting lid. Boil for 2 minutes before turning heat down to medium.
- Remove lid and stir collards through. They should have reduced greatly in volume and be submerged in cooking liquid.
- Return that liquid to a simmer and cook covered until the greens are tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Drain all liquid from collards and reserve for another use.
- Transfer collards to a food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary with additional salt and hot sauce.
- Allow any additional liquid to drain from collards then cool before using.
Directions (black eyed pea hummus):
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary with additional salt.
- Chill until needed.