The sweeter and crisp tones of the cider balance out the salty, briny flavor of the clams. Add in the crème fraiche and you’ve created a broth that has body and sweetness to balance out the natural salinity of the clams.
- 1 bottle Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 1 Cup kosher salt
- 2 littleneck clams
- 1 green delicious apple, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- ¼ Cup Crème Fraiche Pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices ciabatta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Dissolve salt in 1 Gallon cold water.
- Soak clams in salted water for 30 minutes. Lift out of water and set aside.
- Pre-heat grill to medium.
- Create a double-layer packet with aluminum foil.
- Place clams in packet and pour cider over.
- Close packet tightly and place on grill for 10-15 minutes, or until clams open.
- Remove clams from packet, place them in a bowl, and pour liquid into small saucepan.
- In saucepan on the grill, whisk crème fraiche into broth, and season to taste with pepper. Keep warm.
- Brush bread with olive oil, and grill until charred on both sides.
- Pour broth over clams, and toss gently with apple and thyme leaves.
- Serve with grilled bread; enjoy.