Modeled after Brazilian churrasco recipes, this dish uses Angry Orchard Crisp Apple as a key ingredient for the wings and the chimichurri. The hard cider brine is the most important part of this recipe. Brazilians frequently use beer, however, the cider not only helps tenderize the meat, but the sugars of the cider helps carmelize when grilling over the fire. Because wings are small and cook quickly, the sugar helps create the cracked, burnt caramel flavor.
Serves 4 Adults
- 1/2 cup Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Cup canola oil
- 20 whole chicken wings, separated into flats and drums, wing tips discarded
- 14 - 12" metal skewers
Ingredients (Angry Orchard chimichurri sauce):
- 1/4 cup Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 1 bunch parsley, stems removed, leaves chopped to make about 1/3 cup
- 3 Tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon espelette pepper
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 Teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried chili flakes
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, blend the egg yolks, vinegar, Angry Orchard, poultry seasoning and salt until the yolks fluff, about 30 seconds.
- With the processor running, put the pusher tube in the top and pour the oil into the tube. If you don't have the pusher tube, slowly drizzle in the oil; this should take about 1 minute, you will hear the sound change to a whop, whop. The mixture will emulsify and resemble a thick mayonnaise. This marinade is very aggressively seasoned.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the marinade in a small jar, cover and refrigerate.
- Place the chicken and remaining marinade in a large zip lock bag, massaging the chicken and completely covering with the marinade. Zip the top closed, removing any air as you seal the bag.
- Place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate while the grill heats and you make the chimichurri.
- Heat grill to medium high. Prepare an area of indirect heat to grill the chicken.
- Remove the reserved jar of marinade from the refrigerator and set aside to be used for basting.
- Remove the chicken from the zip loc bag and pat completely dry. Discard the zip loc bag and used marinade.
- Using 2 skewers, skewer the chicken through each end, so you have 2 skewers through each wing/drumette, leaving a little space between pieces, so you have nice, flat, 2 skewer, 6-piece kabobs to work with. This double skewer method makes the kabobs quick and easy to turn on the grill.
- Place the kabobs over indirect heat. After 10 minutes, flip the kabobs, moving them to a new, hot part of the grill, but still over indirect heat and grill another 5 minutes.
- Baste with the reserved marinade, flip the kabobs and baste again. Grill another 5 minutes for a total cooking time of 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, brush with the remaining basting sauce, and rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with Angry Orchard Chimichurri sauce.
Directions (Angry Orchard chimichurri sauce):
- Mix the parsley, fresh oregano and olive oil together and set aside. The oil prevents the herbs from oxidizing (turning brown).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the Angry Orchard Crisp Apple, vinegar, dried oregano, salt, and espelette pepper until the salt is dissolved.
- Grate the apple on the largest holes of a box grater onto a paper towel.
- Stir 1/4 cup of the grated apple, onion, garlic and chili flakes into the Hard Cider mixture and set aside.
- Just before serving, mix the oil mixture with the vinegar mixture.