Angry Orchard Crisp Apple, which balances natural apple sweetness with a subtle dryness, not only keeps the chicken juicy as it cooks, but also envelops it with a refreshing, fruit-forward taste.
Serves 3-4 Adults
- 2 12 oz Cans Angry Orchard Crisp Apple, room temperature
- 1 roasting chicken, approximately 4-5lbs
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- 3 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 oz olive oil
- Pepper, to taste
- The day before, brine the chicken: Dissolve 1 Tablespoon kosher salt and 1 Tablespoon sugar in one can of Angry Orchard Crisp Apple. Mix in 1 Tablespoon chopped herbs and 1 clove chopped garlic. Submerge chicken in brine overnight, adding water (or cider) if necessary.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees, or light a grill and set to low heat.
- Remove chicken from brine, rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 4 ounces of Angry Orchard Crisp Apple, remaining herbs (whatever you can get your hands on, thyme, sage, rosemary, etc.), remaining garlic, and olive oil.
- Rub dressing all over chicken, and season liberally with remaining salt and pepper.
- Stand chicken straight up and nestle firmly on top of can; the chicken should remain vertical.
- Place chicken in a wide roasting pan or directly on the grill, and cook until the juices run clear and chicken is cooked through, approx.. 30-40 minutes. Cooking times will vary based on heat and method.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the can of cider, and serve.