Angry Orchard Cider-Brined Turkey
- 8 Cups Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 2/3 Cup kosher salt
- 2/3 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 Tablespoon whole allspice berries, coarsely crushed
- 6 whole cloves
- 8 (1/8-inch-thick) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered
- 1 sweet onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 sage leaves
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 (12-14 pound) fresh turkey, preferably a heritage breed
- 6 Cups of ice
- Preheat oven or vertical roaster to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add all ingredients, except the turkey and ice, to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and immediately remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes before adding the ice and allowing the brine to cool.
- Once the brine is cool, pour it over the turkey in a large zip top “brining bag” or thick plastic bag.
- Place the turkey in the bottom of your fridge, or in a cooler filled with ice. The bird needs to brine overnight before removing from the liquid.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and dry the inside and outside thoroughly with paper towels.
- Lightly oil the skin of the bird and transfer either to a vertical roaster, or a preheated oven.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 155 degrees Fahrenheit. This can take anywhere from an hour and a half to 2 plus hours.
- Remove the bird from the oven and allow it to rest in a warm location, such as the back of your stove, for at least 1 hour before carving.