Black Velvet Cupcakes with Angry Orchard Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ Bottle Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 3 Cups AP flour
- 1 1⁄4 Teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 Teaspoons unsweetened black cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 Cups canola oil
- 2 1⁄4 Cups granulated sugar
- 1 Cup full fat buttermilk
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons black food coloring
- 1 1⁄4 Teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 Cup room temperature water
- 1 Tablespoon Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- 1 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 2 lbs confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, buttermilk and cider until combined.
- Add eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, scraping down the bowl between additions, and mix on low until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Line a 16-cup cupcake pan with paper liners, scoop the batter into the liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the frosting, whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamed.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla, cider, and mix until combined.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.